Wednesday, August 04, 2010


Running for a Friend


I do not know of anyone who is more kind and more christlike than my friend Natalie. Whenever we were with friend I always remember she was different than anyone else she never said an unkind word about anyone or anything. She was always an inspiration to me to be a little bit more patient and loving. A little while ago I received an invite on facebook about a concert. I saw her name pop up and I was shocked to find this sweet valient young woman was diagnosed with a rare bone cancer. I went to her blog and read her story of courage and the struggle she is having. It brought back so many memories of losing my sweet sisters that I cried for a few hours after reading her blog. I cried even more when I heard that she was terminal .  There will be a benefit concert on August 6 in her honor to help make her wish to go to hawaii with her family one last time. So as i was crying  I Then I realized that heavenly father must need her to bless other peoples lives like she has been for me. I knew I wanted to do something more for her than just give her family money and a kind word I wanted to take action. A few days later I found out that davids work Bio life plasma was helping to earn money for cancer victims with the relay for life program. I have always wanted to do a cancer run even though I hate running. I knew this was the thing I was looking for to do for Ntalie. So the day of the relay I painted my toenails in relay purple wore a purple shirt and even did evias toenails to get her ready for the walk.


I usually do a better job but I was so excited to go I was shaky . I also made two signs but as I was making one of the signs I got emotional again and cried on the poster.
I put it on a purple ribbon and I wore it  around my neck proudly the whole relay.



After Davids work he came and picked us up  and we headed to syaracuse high school where the relay was taking place there was alot of people there but I was hoping more and more people would come. We hopped onto the track to take a few laps so we could take picture before it got to dark. We went around and saw all sorts of vendors from different companies and even families of survivors and victims were selling things like snowcones tshirts necklaces, facepainting and even balloons We bought evia a balloon and she loved it !!







There were some people on the track who were dressed quite differently. There was a group of firefighter who wore their full gear, and I mean full body gear during the whole race they even wore the oxygen masks and people who donated could take a lap to see what it feels like to be a firefighter.


But the craziest of all were the guys dressed up for the  Miss relay pageant  several men dressed up in outlandish female clothing and as they walked they tried to get as many donations as possible. and at nine o clock whoever had the most donations won.her are some of those lovely "ladies"




This guy ended up winning !! David had to go and run the booth for a while so I walked with evia in the stroller even though we did not have to walk until 1 oclock AM. As I was walking around I talked to people and heard incredible stories of survival and love. And every time I felt the banner flap on my chest My heart would skip a beat and I would get a frog in my throat. sometimes I would be walking and cryin g at the same time. At that moment I truly felt greatful to be alive and to live the life. As the evening wore on as soon as it got dark I went to a particular vendor and i bought a paper bag for the luminary ceremony. I decorated the bag the best I could with the washable markers i put Natalies name on it with beautiful roses and vines. I tried to make it look like the best one on the track. Soon after it was announced that the luminary ceremony would begin so I headed ack to the tent and waited as they turned all the stadium lights off. An announcer came over the loud speaker and told us to stand by our luminaries I stood in front of natalies and waited. The announcer spoke of courage and the fight to survive as she spoke of many things cancer victims go through , on th opposite side of the stadium i looked across and saw the word "HOPE" being light from lumiaries on the bleachers. The stadium went quiet as she announced we were to light our luminaries as soon as the person on the right had lit theirs. I lit up natalies and i felt as if a huge warm blanket were placed over me. david held me and our sweet Evia as we watched luminaries being lit across the stadium. Soon there was a moment of silence you could hear soft sobs and sniffles around the stadium. Then we were asked to take 1 lap altogether to represent how even though cancer victims are so tired and worn out from treatments they never give up and always go that extra lap. Hand in hand we walked around the track as people were singing to a song being played over the speakers. It was a beautiful ceremony and I wish more of the teens had paid attention to this incredible thing that had just taken place.




Natalies luminary is the one with the crease on the front I wish she could see it better. But after the ceremony it was alost 3 -4 hours before our turn to run. Me and david were the only employees /family who stayed almost through the whole event. The relay ends at 9 an we stayed until six . We wanted to help and stay as long as possible but soon the fatigue of school and renovating a house and having a baby kicked in. the music was so loud over the speakers and I am surprised that when we set up our tent and put evia down that she even fell asleep at all. Soon our turn came and the oerson watching the booth said she would watch evia while we walked for an hour. I had already walked probably 3 hours but I could not wait to walk with my david. we held hands as we walked and talked of the future and our little girl . and sometimes we did not say anything but just tried to think. at the back of my head I was praying for natalie I was hoping her family would have the faith and courage to endure. My family most importantly  my parents know what it feels like to lose two children. My heart ached for them but I knew it would only bring them closer as it my family closer together me and my sisters are inseperable and we know the meaning of the atonement. So Natalie as I ran that last lap I thought of you  and ran it for you!! and Know that you are loved dearly by all you have met and know our redeemer can't wait to hold you in his arms again .

No comments:

Post a Comment